What is a doula? "The word 'doula' comes from the ancient Greek meaning 'a woman who serves' and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily."
Why hire a doula?
Studies show the benefits of working with a birth doula include:
- 50% reduction in cesarean rates
- 25% reduction in the length of labor
- 60% reduction in the rate of epidural use
- 40% reduction in the need for forceps
- higher breastfeeding rates
- higher levels of confidence in partners as coaches
- increased maternal sense of satisfaction in the birth
- overall sense of well-being following delivery
- easier transition into parenthood (1)
During pregnancy and labor, your doula will be with you each step of the way. Find more information on packages and services available.
Meet Your Doula
Jennifer is here to support you in your childbirth journey. She will help you to explore your options and the choices available to you.
There is so much information to wade through when you are expecting a baby. Here are some of my favorite books, movies, and websites for pregnancy and beyond.